Saturday, November 6, 2010

Rattan Chairs made it into the living room...

I bought these orange and rattan chairs AGES ago...and I wasn't sure where to put them.  At that time, I tried them in the living room, but it didn't sit well with me...The basement? Nope! Too scrolly...Finally, they made their way to the interior wall in the guest room.  I had big plans to paint them white and recover them in a soft grey fabric.  However, painting season is pretty much over, and I haven't made a move...

This afternoon thought I would try them in the living room again, just to see and...I LIKE IT- A-LOT!

I wanted to install floating shelves in the living room - two on each side of the fire place...I have some art books and pretty things I would like to display...plus I wanted to warm up the place! (Books have a talent for warming up a space)...You see, this is a room we never use...and I really really want to change that.  Still, are art books really going to draw me into the room more often?...and why spend money on something I don't have (retail prices at that), when I have these two AMAZING chairs that are looking for permanent status in my home?

The orange is DELICIOUS! I love the natural rattan too...What do you think?  Getting too cluttered? Or not that bad? Shelves would be better? Can I put more books on the coffee table?  I may be a maximillist (sp?) at heart...I can't help be feeling I don't have enough stuff...huh...maybe I stack some books ON THE CHAIRS? Yes, no?

oh and one other small change: spider plant! (In the corner by the bay window)...also moved my CList pony hair ottoman in front of the fireplace...(my fireplace needs serious TLC...I am in the process of ignoring it and hoping it will fix itself - its going well so far!)


ps...how about those new bowls, eh?

19 comments:

  1. I think stacking some books on the chairs is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great room! I love the chairs but I probably would change the cushions to something more neutral as they compete with the two leather chairs. Maybe a linen colour? I think the chairs look great there and the shelves may make the room feel cluttered. Yes, more books on the coffee table and I wouldn't put books on the chairs. Love your new bowls too. Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing. Love the photography. What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chairs are fabulous!!!!

    Luvs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...i barely know how to use the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like them in the living room. Btw, where did you get your rug in the foyer on the first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them in there! And your living room is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shadi! That's a madeline weinrib rug...its our 'summer rug'...we LOVE IT (bought it on sale in the US)

    http://www.madelineweinrib.com/mainmenu.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm a newcomer to our blog (this is my third time) and I just ADORE your house! They look fantastic and I love the colour. The shelves are a great idea too, but I would wait it out till spring and see if you still want a change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chairs look so amazing in that space Shannon! And I'm so glad you didn't paint them because I love the original look! I guess eventually you could reupholster them, but the orange really pops here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the chairs!! The original bamboo is just lovely adds lots of warmth into the space!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the chairs (and the bowls, of course) and I want your weinrib rug - it's gorgeous....
    I have the world's ugliest throw rugs by the front and side door. They came with the house. My cats use them as scratching pads (so they look even worse) but I'd love to have something with some personality......

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chairs are rad. I think shelves on those walls would be too busy. I like the orange in the chairs picking up the orange in the other leather chairs and the accent pillows on the sofa. Keep em.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the chairs in the living room, but I am little bit distracted by the gorgeous are rug in that room, do you mind me asking where you got that rug?
    Anabela.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anabela - the carpet is from ELTE...we bought it on sale

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the chairs are perfect. I agree with Natalie that the orange is working for me (at least for now - no need to rush out reupholster.) I think they are a nice compliment to the the leather chairs and the soft bluey-greens you have elsewhere. BTW what's wrong with your fireplace - looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anabela - the carpet is from ELTE...we bought it on sale

    ReplyDelete
  18. One more thing. Love the photography. What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete